Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Student Visa


In general Israeli nationals do not require a visa to enter Germany. They can apply for the necessary residence permit from the Foreigners Authority upon arrival in Germany.

For an application at the German Embassy in Tel Aviv you need to make an appointment online.

On your appointment please submit the following documents:

  • One fully completed and signed national visa application form. You can download the national visa application form from our internet page
  • A valid passport (original plus copy of the data page)
  • Two biometric passport photos
  • Signed letter of motivation (original plus copy)
  • Signed detailed CV (original plus copy)
  • If you know German already: evidence of your knowledge of German (e.g. language certificates etc.) (original plus one copy)
  • Proof of financial means to cover the costs of living and studying in Germany (see below)
  • Travel insurance in Germany with a coverage of at least 30,000 Euro and valid for all Schengen countries for the time until you are covered by the student health care scheme

For a student visa or study application visa:

  • Proof of admission to a German university or proof that you filed successfully an application at a German university or an acceptance letter to a „Studienkolleg“ (+ one copy)
  • Israeli school leaving certificate („Te’udat Bagrut“) with translation into English or German (original plus one copy)
  • In case of previous university studies: proof of prior studies and diplomas (original and one copy)
  • If you apply for a visa for a Master program please submit your Bachelor Degree, not your school leaving certificate.

For a visa to attend a German language course as a preparation for academic studies:

  • Proof of registration/payment for an intensive language course with at least 18 hours/week of teaching (one copy)

The application fee of 75.- Euro has to be paid in cash in NIS or per credit card.

In certain cases additional documents might be required.

Please note: Foreign students are only allowed to work in Germany for up to 120 full or 240 half days per year. Participants in intensive language courses are not allowed to enter into employment at all.

Financing your studies

You have to provide the Embassy and Foreigners Authority with evidence that you are able to support yourself financially throughout the first year of your studies. The estimated monthly costs of living correspond to the highest rate of monthly support provided under the German Educational Assistance Act (BaföG).

For 2024: 934.-- Euro per month; 11.208.-- Euro a year.

The following options are possible:

1. Opening a blocked bank account

When applying for visa you can provide evidence that you are able to meet your living costs by opening a blocked bank account. You have free choice of provider. Information on providers offering this service worldwide is available on the Federal Foreign Office website.

2. Formal letter of obligation from Germany

Another proof is to submit a formal letter of obligation (Verpflichtungserklärung) which can be signed by a sponsor residing in Germany. The formal letter of obligation can be signed at the local Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde). A person not residing in Germany can sign such a letter only in case he is having sufficient assets or income in Germany.

3. Official scholarship

Receiving an official scholarship would also prove the ability to support yourself financially throughout the first year of your studies.

4. Financial background of the parents

It is possible to show the financial background of the parents of the student. Salary slips and bank statements of the last three months of the parent(s) must be submitted together with a signed declaration and a passport copy of the parent(s). It must be clearly and without any doubt obvious that the parents can finance the annual living costs of 11.208.- Euro. After entering Germany the student has to open a blocked bank account and transfer the amount of 11.208.- Euro to this account.

German Foreigner’s authority might otherwise refuse to extend the study visa.

Please note that it is not possible to make photocopies in the embassy. If your documents are not in English or German a translation into German is required. Documents in English don’t have to be translated.

nach oben